Mighty Metis is founded to create opportunities and projects that view media as a form of live anthropology: exploring issues of culture, identity, family, society, economics and education through entertaining written/audio/visual storytelling.
We want to see, more than anything, aspirational Arabic content via various media outlets that engages audiences in immersive Arabic output that is for us – by us. Our passion is working with local, regional & Arab talent on developing great ideas from script to screen. Whichever “screen” whatever it’s size; whether it is TV, film or online.
Mighty Metis was founded by Maia Malas in 2011. Becoming a Dubai resident in 2016, Maia is previously a Londoner originating from Amman. Her career started with the written word, in Amman, as a a young print journalist. She moved to London in 2003 to work in media training before focusing on production in 2008. Maia is genuinely committed to contributing to creating Arabic content & platforms that are representative and democratic through all the work carried out by Mighty Metis.
Examples of projects to date:
- Training writers, developing scripts & managing writers’ rooms for winning TV drama series on mainstream pan-Arab TV stations.
- Training & producing award-winning creative documentaries from first-time Syrian filmmakers.
- Training on feature length Egyptian film scriptwriting.
- Producing weekly TV programmes.
- Training writers & managing script development for youth web-drama.
- Consulting on content for emerging Arabic Radio drama.
- Consulting, providing research & evaluating about Arabic online content for international organisations.